Technology is changing at a pace that would have seemed impossible in past years. This represents an opportunity and a challenge for business leaders around the globe as many struggle to keep pace with the rapid pace of technology-driven change.
While it’s more important than ever to stay up-to-date with technological advancement, it may also be increasingly difficult to separate the most important trends and terms from passing fads.
13 Popular Software Development Terms to Know
Software lingo, tech terms, and social media phrases can quickly become confusing and muddled. Keeping current tabs on technological movements will help increase communication, organization and relevancy in the workplace.
To help simplify things, here are 13 software development terms that will help keep you in the know:
1. iOS: This is an Apple operating system used mainly for mobile devices. Because of this touchscreen design, everything was created out of simplicity. As a user, you have limited access to the iOS system preferences and a few other areas.
2. WordPress: As one of the most popular blogging systems found on the web, WordPress hosts more than 60 million websites. This free blogging software uses an open-source content management system. This software allows users to choose from several themes, plugins and other features in order to personalize blogs or websites.
3. MOOCs: A Massive Open Online Course or MOOC, is a free web-based educational program that connects students from all over the world. This type of learning program is sometimes structured or free-flowing, depending on the circumstances.
4. Open Source Software: This type of software is open and available for the public. This can be modified by anyone and is great for individuals looking to collaborate. This allows more user control and accessibility.
5. Iteration: This is the task of repeating a process in order to reach the final desired result. It also represents a project’s next life cycle.
6. Google Analytics: This service offered by Google allows you to get a glimpse of how your information is being viewed and processed on Google.
7. Bootstrap: This is the process that occurs during the reboot of your computer. Once the diagnostic tests and other configurations are made, the bootstrap program loads the operating system. It basically gets everything running in the right direction.
8. Mobile Device Management (MDM): This category includes smartphones, tablets, and laptop and desktop computers.
9. Agile: This type of project management focuses on collaboration and open communication between group members. The agile software development process is more functional and less static.
10. Waterfall: This project management style focuses on more of a step-by-step approach. Progress tends to flow downward, rather than right and left.
11. Scrum: This software development methodology focuses on the agile approach.
12. DNN (DotNetNuke): This free, open source platform allows individuals to build personalized and secure websites.
13. DST Patch: The Daylight Saving Time Patch is a code used to keep website pages up-to-date with time standards.
While some of this terminology may be completely new, it will likely become a part of your well-versed software development vocabulary in just a matter of time. Because of the overarching influence technology has on most aspects of business, making an effort to stay up on new software development terms is beneficial to leaders across an organization. Stay tuned for more information about the latest software development terms in future blog posts!