When we decided to apply our expertise in software development outsourcing to a nearshore location, we considered a lot of different options, making visits to numerous countries.
Having been in the tech business for many years, we were already keenly aware of information technology operations in places like India and China. But we knew we wanted something different, especially since we had become deeply engaged by the agile scrum approach to software development.
Why We Love Software Development in Costa Rica
Communication challenges and major time zone differences were just a couple of the reasons why we explored alternatives to places like India for software development outsourcing. After a lot of looking, we settled on San Jose, Costa Rica, as the perfect location for our nearshore headquarters. And we did this for a number of important reasons. Here are 8 of them:
- Convenient location. Finding a location that is easy to access from the United States was top on our list when we started looking for a great location for offshore software development. Costa Rica was a great fit with affordable, convenient flights from many U.S. cities including Atlanta and Miami.
- Same time zone. Before we even started looking for an international location for software development, we knew that we wanted to be in location that shared our time zone. This is very important to us given our emphasis on an agile approach to software development. Our nearshore team regularly participates in client meetings with ongoing communication throughout the day. We would not be able to have the business that we do if this regular communication was not possible due to time zone differences.
- Great technical talent. The success of our company has been based on our ability to attract and keep people with the very best technical talent. Costa Rica is a country committed to developing a strong technical workforce. With several top educational institutions in Costa Rica offering advanced training in software development, we have connected with a talented pool of software developers who use all the latest tools to deliver high quality code and create cutting edge software.
- Excellent communication / bilingual. The majority of people in Costa Rica are bilingual speaking both Spanish and English very fluently. This was an essential part of our decision to open offices in Costa Rica. Due to the close communication required for an agile scrum software environment, we placed top priority on this.
- Safety and security. Comparatively speaking, Costa Rica is considered quite safe. According to the 2014 Latin America Security Index, Costa Rica is one of the most safe countries in the region (along with Chile and Uruguay). The majority of crime involves acts of petty theft. Violent crime is much less common. Costa Rica has long been considered a stable democracy and it has not had an active military presence since 1948.
- Friendly culture. Working with the people of Costa Rica is truly a joy. The culture tends to be known for its friendly and open style. We hear over and over again from our clients how much they truly enjoy working with our team in Costa Rica. This is another huge part of our success.
- Strong cultural ties. Historically the relationship between the U.S. and Costa Rica has been very strong. This solid relationship is excellent for business, making it easy for us to operate office locations in both countries. In fact, estimates from the U.S. State Department suggest that around 120,000 private U.S. citizens live in Costa Rica, and more than 1.2 million travel there each year.
- Beautiful country. Not only is Costa Rica easy to get to from the United States, but it is also a beautiful place to visit. This is an added bonus for us and for many of our clients who enjoy the opportunity for occasional business travel to a place with some of the most lovely beaches on earth.
If you are consider nearshore software development in Costa Rica, contact number8 today. We’d love to talk with you more about the many benefits of software development in Costa Rica, which go far beyond the excellent value you’ll receive.