Your company is growing by leaps and bounds, but you may notice that the resources available are limited. Especially when it comes to development talent. In the United States, there is a shortage of software developers. To help deal with this problem, many experts suggest companies be flexible with their hiring and look towards alternative solutions such as offshore software development.
What is Offshore Software Development?
Offshore custom software development, or offshore custom software engineering, is the process of looking overseas for talent to help with information technology, project design, engineering, coding and other areas of expertise. Offshore software development provide a cost-efficient solution for the developer shortage American companies face.
There are three basic ways to use offshore developers:
- “Project based” outsourcing involves hiring remote teams to complete certain modules or some part of the programming before finishing as a collaboration.
- Companies can also remotely hire entire teams of developers led by a project manager who checks the code as it delivered between parties. These teams can be as small or as large as the project needs.
- Some software companies create and implement a product then outsource the complete IT application programming and maintenance to an offshore team.
What you’re planning to use offshore developers for will determine the questions you will want to ask them. We’ve listed 12 questions below that we feel you should ask any offshore software developer regardless of your business plans.
12 Questions to Ask Any Offshore Software Development Company
- If you think your company can benefit from offshore development, be sure to ask the following questions when searching for a reliable company to help with talent recruitment.
- How do you find and hire developers?
- Where are developers located?
- How will your offshore developers help our company save time and money on software development?
- Can developers communicate effectively using email and online chat during a specific time window every day?
- Are developers fluent in English? Are they comfortable with the American dialect and its nuances?
- How do developers complete their software development process? How do your developers test applications and document each bug they find?
- Do the developers have experience completing projects similar to the one being proposed? If so, please provide examples. If not, what qualifications do these developers have that make them proper candidates or hire?
- Will the same developers initially assigned to the project be on the team for the duration of the development effort?
- Who receives the source code and related materials and eventually owns the completed project?
- What methods of development problem solving do your developers utilize? Are they familiar with agile development methodology?
- What makes your offshore software development company unique compared to others?
Use these questions to determine if the offshore software developers are going to be a good fit.
If you are wanting software developers to be client facing then they should be fluent in English. They should also be comfortable with American dialect. If you are looking for offshore software developers that use a certain coding method or are well versed in agile methodology, be sure to ask for developers with that kind of experience. By asking questions and getting as many answers prior to hiring, you will avoid issues down the road. This will lead to a healthier relationship with your offshore development team and an improved work flow in your office.
At Number8, we help companies create software products with the help of offshore development. If you questions about our consulting process and why we are the right offshore software development company for your team to work with, then give us a call at (502) 890-7665 today!