Artificial Intelligence (AI) is no longer a futuristic concept; it is a current reality. People use it every day to find information, automate processes, run complex calculations, and do much more. Because AI has such a significant influence on everyone's life, it is a good idea to keep an eye on its progress. We’re expecting many exciting developments in the world of AI in the months and years ahead. Here’s a brief overview of AI and what can you expect from 2020 onward:
Where Can We Find AI Today?
AI is more prevalent than many people realize, so much so that even people with little to no interaction with smart technology use it. Some of the most common uses of artificial intelligence include:
- Google Maps AI-powered predictions recommend the fastest routes for any desired destination while also offering other route alternatives and live traffic data.
- Ride sharing apps actively calculate pricing for different routes based on factors like distance, demand, traffic, etc.
- Commercial airlines have been very early adopters of AI. This technology has powered airline autopilot systems for decades now. Modern day pilots fly a plane for only seven minutes on average, on a flight of any duration. The rest is handled by sophisticated autopilot systems.
- Google uses AI technology to categorize emails automatically. All messages are sorted into spam, primary, social, or promotional folders without any user input. Google's AI is extremely precise; it filters 99.9% of all spam emails.
- Many banks use AI and machine learning technology that let customers deposit checks through their mobile phone. AI recognizes handwriting, converts it to text, authenticates information before approving a deposit.
- Smart assistants like Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant, Cortana, etc., are powered by AI and Machine Learning.
- Online shopping platforms like Amazon use AI in search and to offer tailored product recommendations.
AI is also used in traffic control systems, communication, human resource management, credit management, and much more.
What Can We Expect from AI in the Future?
While people have long anticipated the development of AI, there have still been surprises along the way. Most assumed we'd have AI robots or machines, but this technology has taken a more indirect route. Based on current developments, experts believe we can expect the innovations mentioned below in the not so distant future:
1. Blockchain, IoT, and AI Coming Together
Blockchain, IoT, and AI are also disruptive technologies that have changed several industries. IoT can interact directly with hardware while collecting data for AI, and Artificial intelligence can analyze data before making decisions. Blockchain can ensure the system is secure, scalable, and protected from fraud.
2. Increased Penetration in Creative Industries
So far, AI hasn’t gone far into the creative industries. AI technology has only truly effected writing generic content for news media websites. However, that may change soon as AI starts delving into production, scriptwriting, story development, and even acting. CG technology has developed significantly in recent years. Movies use advanced graphics, de-aging technologies, and even AI for some imagery.
3. Workplace Automation
Many companies have already adopted automation for their regular tasks, but we will see increased penetration of technology in the future. According to Gartner
, workplace automation will eliminate around 1.8 million jobs while creating about 2.3 million new
jobs. As a result, this change may lead to people working on more engaging tasks for higher compensation.
4. Influence of Biased Data
AI and ML systems rely on data to provide solutions. If the historical data provided is biased, it can influence a system’s decisions. Unfortunately, using AI for hiring, credit scoring, or other such functions may negatively impact historically disadvantaged target demographics like women, POC, or people of different races.
We’ll see increased penetration of AI and ML in fields like digital marketing, customer service, personal shopping services, etc. This technology is still in its early development stages. Who knows how far it will go?
As an information technology company with many years of experience, we’ve helped hundreds of clients leverage technology to become more efficient and increase profits. Interested in learning more? Let’s connect. Send us an email or give us a call, so we can get the conversation started.