One of the best ways a business can succeed is by having a strong sense of teamwork. Without communication and collaboration on the job, time becomes money. This strong connection between employees does not only benefit the business, but individual team members as well.
The quality of a team affects an individual’s performance, as well as their personal well-being and job satisfaction.
So what factors go into creating high quality teams? How are high quality teams nurtured and encouraged? We turned to the latest research to understand the intricacies of teamwork and found five important insights.
- Communication impacts creativity: Many of the best ideas spring from good conversations. A supportive dialogue between team members helps encourage creativity and innovation.
- Good teamwork increases individual and team energy: Interaction between team members should be energetic and understanding. With this balance of support and enthusiasm, the team thrives. It’s true that people feed off of the emotions of others, especially while on the job. An overall positive team spirit has lasting effects.
- Motivational dynamics influence the team’s performance and well-being: Work engagement, on both an individual and team level, has a powerful impact on a team’s productivity and success. Providing an open mind and needed encouragement can improve team performance significantly.
- Engagement is unique to each team: Understanding the way a specific team works together is almost always better understood by the team members involved, rather than someone on the outside. This means that changes within the team should occur within the team. Trying to change the dynamic of a team from the outside might end up doing more harm than good.
- Conflict must get resolved: Every team will face conflict or disputes at some point in time. The most important way for a team to overcome this conflict is by finding a solution and working through the issues at hand. Never let this conflict interfere with established goals and always keep a high morale.
Teamwork is one of the most challenging, yet successful parts of a business model. Managing and leveraging teamwork to achieve goals is very rewarding. Looking at some of the key points identified by researchers studying team dynamics, it’s easy to see that teamwork has the power to bring a whole team up or to put individuals down. The best way to create this balance is by continually striving to improve communication between team members and to cultivate a support system that addresses both individual and group needs.